Saugus Strong




Hey guys ~ Heavy week.




I have seen that this particular circumstance is so much more a reality up-close than it was when I watched it on the news at the other side of the country.

I wasn't there.  I don't go to Saugus.  In fact, I'm pretty sheltered when it comes to this specific kind of unspeakable tragedy.  I'm actually a homeschooler, and I feel kind guilty saying so. But why?  In truth, I have so many friends whom I'm afraid to approach, because I know I can't relate to the desperate hurt, or fear they're feeling.

Have you ever done that? Have you ever stopped yourself from being the comfort that somebody needs, because you were afraid that you could never relate to their pain, afraid that this certain person would be offended by your attempting to show sympathy, because you could not possibly understand them?





I for one am scared to death of facing friends who were literally traumatized on Thursday. I don't know what to say, or how solemn to act! I only know one thing:

The last two things we need to do as the community of Santa Clarita are: Point fingers, and avoid the hurting students and families of our community.  We were hit really hard on Thursday. No one saw it coming in our small, safe, nook of California.  That is SO SAD.  We have teenagers walking around our valley, who now have a valid reason to be afraid in a kind of way no human should ever have to be!  We are all incredibly shaken right now.  But, we can't let fear keep us from loving each other, from carrying each other, from holding hands with each other,  and from slowing down long enough to really hear each other.

So? What do we do? How do I, someone who has no clue what kids from Saugus are even dealing with, rise up with my community, and comfort the ones who need to be comforted?

Well, there isn't much I can say to answer that but I can say this: Sometimes a person pours their heart out not in search of a solution, but because they need to be heard.


The city of Santa Clarita Valley gathering at the Vigil

I have found that sometimes the best answer to the crying of a friend, is crying with them, just knowing that it's ok to be afraid.  Sometimes soft-hearted silence is the biggest, "I am so sorry this happened" a person can handle.  Sometimes hard life calls for not a solution, but an understanding that while we can't fix it yet, we are in it together.

That is the most important message Santa Clarita: WE ARE IN THIS TOGETHER.  I know we can pick the pieces up from this painful tragedy, because we are strong, Saugus is strong, and Santa Clarita is strong.

Lastly, I need to take a paragraph and thank our first responders.  You guys are there every time; you save lives, families, and so much more.  Thank you for not running when it easiest. Thank you for not hiding when the lights go out. Thank you for being leaders when it's dark. We owe SO MUCH to you. Thank you to school administrators for knowing exactly what to do when everything gets chaotic. Thank you to the pastors who relentlessly shower this community in prayer and leadership. Thank you to the people who are showing up.

I see so much kindness in this community.  Stay faithful guys, we can get through this together.

"Courage isn't having the strength to go on -- It's going on when you don't have the strength."
                                                                                                   ~ Napoleon Bonaparte

Comments